Project Cost Controller
Under the responsibility of the project controller, the cost controller assumes the implementation and maintenance of a cost control system. His role is to identify opportunities to reduce project costs, improve productivity and issue efficient and accurate reports.
JOB FUNCTIONS :
- Track and control costs throughout the project life cycle.
- Ensure the cost management system is set up appropriately and analyze budgets, commitments, and actual costs to ensure accurate
- Implement a project control system that will provide a clear view of performance based on the initially planned budgets.
- Ensure that project reports are provided to the Project Control Manager and Project Manager on time and in accordance with established standards.
- Develop budgets aligned with project estimate and WBS.
- Review cost reports, validate their calculations and reconcile with journal entries to identify and correct any discrepancies.
- Constantly seek ways to minimize the expenses incurred by the project, identifying areas of cost saving strategies within the project.
- Assist in financial decision making by providing performance trend analysis and adjusting cost estimate upon completion.
- Monitor projects during execution by analyzing the results achieved and comparing them to the budget, which could lead to the identification of deviations. If necessary, a mitigation plan must be defined with the project teams.
- Pro-actively manage project changes from a cost perspective. Document all changes and manage budgets based on approved changes.
- Maintain close interaction with project and construction managers.
- Other tasks assigned at the request of his immediate superior
EXPECTED RESPONSIBILITIES :
Support the implementation and maintenance of the cost control system. Provide information, reports and support to the Project Control Manager as well as Discipline and Sector Managers as required.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY AND COMPLEXITY :
Works under the supervision of the Project Control Manager in accordance with his established guidelines, objectives, timelines, and requirements.
The work is carried out at an inter-organizational level; therefore, leadership and teamwork are essential.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES :
· Excellent understanding of cost control processes and procedures
· Good analytical skills
· Excellent organizational skills
· Develop the budget structure based on the estimates produced, monitor actual costs based on this same structure to identify variances and revise costs at completion.
· Strong communication skills
· Strong problem-solving skills
MINIMUM ACADEMIC AND WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS :
University degree with a specialization in engineering, business management, project management or equivalent and a minimum of six (6) years of relevant experience.
Minimum of 4 years of experience in cost control / project controls and previous experience in the industrial construction sector is a strong asset.
ADDITIONAL SKILLS AND QUALITIES REQUIRED :
- Ability to effectively manage and prioritize a multiplicity of tasks and priorities. Strong MS Office skills – Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience with SAP and/or another ERP system is desirable.
- Fluency in spoken and written English and French.
- Ability to travel and work in remote areas.
PREFERRED COMPETENCIES :
- Safety awareness
- Appropriate communication
- Team work
- Analytical thinking
- Strategic thinking
- Decision making
- Focus on problem solving
- Results oriented
- Planning and organization
OPERATIONAL REQUIREMENTS :
- Receive requests from all areas
- Supervisors and workers
- The entire organization